We all know that one of the most important elements of job satisfaction is a positive relationship between a supervisor and an employee. At Randstad, we refer to this as Boss Fit. As we approach International Boss Day (Tuesday October 16th 2012) I’ve put together a list, in no particular order, of behaviours and qualities I think make a great boss. Here are 12 simple steps on how to be a great boss.
1. Have a vision and knows how to communicate it, paint a picture with words.
2. Have passion and knows how to get you excited and connected to the vision.
3. Acts as a resource. Help employees succeed at their job.
4. Make employees feel valued. Explaining how their work is contributing to the big picture.
5. Provide opportunities for growth and development within the company. Have faith in your employees' abilities and know how to push them to accomplish great things.
6. Foster a positive work atmosphere where their team will work collaboratively towards the company’s goals.
7. Provide positive and constructive feedback to help you grow and develop professionally.
8. Acknowledge your employees’ work. You need to recognize performance in order to maintain motivatation on your team.
9. Be a good decision maker. They are quick but not impulsive and once a decision is made they are committed to it.
10. Trust. Delegate tasks and projects and believe in your employees' abilities while remaining available for guidance. When something goes wrong don’t point your finger,be a part of the solution.
11. keeps promises and follows through on commitments.
12. Show compassion. Treat your employees like people. If there is a death in the family or even if they are having a bad day, be empathetic.
What do you think makes a great boss? Leave your comment below!